1222 Prince Konrad of Masovia granted the Prussian bishop Chrystian, on 5 August in “Lonyz” (probably in Łońsk in Kuyavia), the property in the Chelmno (Kulm) Land together with Grudziądz. This is the first certain source reference to Grudziądz. The bishop soon established his headquarters and most probably the episcopal city here.


1228 On 23 April, Konrad of Mazovia granted the remaining part of the Chelmno land to the Teutonic Knights as a material base for their actions in defence of the Prussian mission.

1243 The defeat of the Teutonic Knights at Rządz lake (now within the city limits).

1245 Bishop Chrystian dies on 4 December.

1260 The Teutonic Knights started construction of a castle.

1286 Beginning of construction works on St. Nicholas’ Church.

1291 On June 18, Meinhard of Querfurt, Country Master of the Teutonic Order issued the foundation charter for the city of Grudziądz at Lipienek Castle.

1299 The construction of a chapel in the Teutonic Knights’ castle is completed.

1351 Completion of construction of ‘The Bornwald’s Granary’, the oldest in the Vistula complex.

1380 On July 1, Grand Master Winrich von Kniprode allowed sale of beer in the Town Hall cellars, opening in this way the first pub in Grudziądz.

1396 The weaponry of the castle featured 6 light cannons and 2 cannons using stone cannon balls.

1410 On July 15, in the Battle of Grunwald, one of the greatest battles of Medieval Europe, the Komtur (Commander) of Grudziądz Castle – Wilhelm von Helfenstein was killed.

1411 Polish knight Mikołaj of Ryńsk, who supported the Polish king in the battle of Grunwald with his forces was decapitated without a sentence in the Market Square, in the presence of Grand Master Heinrich von Plauen, after a ‘false-friendly’ invitation to the castle.

1454 Local residents expelled the Teutonic Knights from Grudziądz.


1466 A session of the provincial diet of Royal Prussia was held for the first time in Grudziądz.

1500 The first brick houses were built.

1522 On March 21, Nicholas Copernicus presented his Treatise on Money to the Diet.

1552 King Sigismund Augustus allowed excavation of the Trynka Canal, designed by Nicholas Copernicus, to supply the city with fresh water.

1626 On September 30, King Sigismund III Vasa ordered construction of a permanent bridge over the Vistula River.

1629 The city suffered the first raid by Swedes.

1631 Construction started on the Abbesses’ Palace.

1646 The city becomes the property of Queen Marie Louise, who was generating income from the Grudziądz County, using it for personal needs.

1647 In March, the Parliament of the Republic of Poland allowed for foundation of the Jesuit College.

1655 Swedes invaded Grudziądz for the second time; they expelled the Jesuits and Benedictine Sisters from the city.

1656 Grudziądz served as the main headquarters of the Swedish army of Charles Gustav for two years. The king lived with his family in the castle.

1657 The first known map of Grudziądz was drawn, used by the Swedes to plan their fortifications.

1659 The Polish Army with 15,000 soldiers, led by Grand Marshal of the Crown Jerzy Lubomirski, seized the city and castle by assault in August; the withdrawing Swedes burnt half of the city.

1678 The first theater performance, staged by students of the Jesuit College, was held.

1703 The Swedes invaded Grudziądz for the third time.

1707 The city was occupied by the Russians (until 1718).

1711 Peter the Great, the Tsar of Russia stayed in the castle.

1721 Jesuit Church of St. Francis Xavier was consecrated on December 13.

1728 Beginning of construction works on the convent of the Benedictine Sisters.

1750 Construction of the church and monastery of the Order of the Reformati. The Franciscan youth detention center, which was later changed into a prison (the local penitentiary has been operating to this day).


1772 Based on the agreement of partition, Grudziądz was annexed by Prussia.

1776 On June 6, construction started of a stronghold on a hill close to the city (it was completed in 1789).

1778 Frederick II, King of Prussia ordered demolition of the castle.

1785 The newly built Evangelical church on the Market Square is consecrated.

1802 The Reformati monastery were turned into a youth detention centre, which was later changed into a prison, operating till today.

1806 Napoleon’s Army captured the city and besieged the Citadel for six months (ineffectively).

1816 A Teachers’ Seminary (until 1896) was established in the former Jesuit College.

1834 The seat of the Masonic lodge was built at Wybickiego Street.

1843 First streets were paved.

1844 A synagogue was built on Mickiewicza Street (it was demolished by the Germans in 1940).

1865 Gas street lights started to illuminate the streets of Grudziądz.

1867 A river port was built at the outlet of a manmade trench called Rów Hermana to the Vistula River.

1872 The Citadel was disarmed and changed into barracks and warehouses.

1873 The Jewish Orphanage for children of Eastern Prussia was built (today, the building houses the Civil Registry); it is the only preserved building of Judaic architecture in Grudziądz.

1876 Construction of a railway-road bridge over the Vistula River started in April (completed in 1879).

1877 A permanent passenger service on the Vistula between Grudziądz and Gdańsk is launched.

1878 Railroad service was established to Jabłonowo; a year later –  to Laskowice, in 1882 – to Toruń, and in 1883 – to Malbork (railway junctions).

1883 The Neogothic building of the Post Office was erected.

1884 The Municipal Museum of Antiquity was opened.

1885 Most of the medieval city walls were demolished and the moats were backfilled.

1891 Expansion works started on the Grudziądz Stronghold.

1896 A tram line was activated from the railway station to the Tivoli Gardens (since 1899 electrical).

1897 Poland’s first nature-lovers’ association was founded; they established garden plots called “Kąpiele Słoneczne” (Sunbathing).

1903 Several granaries were consumed by fire; after rebuilding, some of them were changed to residential buildings.

1904 Construction of a brick railway station.

1907 Ceremonial opening of the City Park.

1908 Bathing beach was opened on the Vistula River on July 1.

1913 The first printed guide to Grudziądz was published by Wiktor Kulerski.


1923 The 18th Pomeranian Cavalry Regiment of Uhlans stationed in the Citadel, arrived for its permanent stay to Grudziądz.

1925 Grudziądz was awarded with a gold medal for its municipal green areas.

1933 King John III Sobieski Botanical Garden was established on the 250th anniversary of the victorious Battle of Vienna, where Polish army stopped the Turkish invasion of Europe.

1935 An outdoor swimming pool was opened in Tarpno.


1939 The German army entered the town on 4 September.

1945 On March 6, the German Nazi forces surrendered after 6 weeks of fights; 75% of buildings were destroyed or seriously damaged.

1956 The Museum took over the Baroque building of the Convent of the Benedictines.

1972 The Planetarium and Astronomical Observatory were opened; geothermal, saline waters rich in minerals were discovered in the Grudziądz area.

1980 Bronisław Malinowski, a local athlete of GKS Olimpia, won gold medal at 3000 meters steeplechase at the Summer Olympics in Moscow (he died a year later in a car accident on the Grudziądz bridge).

2006 ‘Geotermia’ Resort, using saline for recreation and medical purposes, was opened.

2010 Completion of revitalization of the Market Square; Pope Benedict XVI raised the local Fara Church to the status of a basilica.

2011 Grudziądz was connected with A1 Highway.

2014 On the renovated Castle Hill, the Klimek viewing tower was erected on the foundations of the former castle tower; in the same year, the revitalised Schulz Port with the Grudziądz Marina was put into use and the historical rose garden from 1914 was recreated in the City Park.

2015 A bench with Nicolaus Copernicus the economist was erected in the Grudziądz Market Square.

2017 The Granaries were awarded the title of Monument of History.

2019 Seasonal café opened on Castle Hill.

2022 The Flis Museum of Vistula Trade opened at Spichrzowa 33-35.