Erected in the 13th century as a wooden structure by the Teutonic Order it served as a hospital. In 1345, as a result of fi re, it was replaced by an aisleless brick church, built on the fl oor plan of an elongated rectangle with almost completely erased features of stylish Gothic. During the Reformation, it was twice taken away from Catholics and handed over to Protestants (1569–1595, 1608–1624). Since 1624, it had served as the church of the Benedictine Nuns. The building was damaged during the wars with Sweden. In 1750–1751, its barrel vault was added, window openings were reconstructed, and stone fl oor was installed. It also received fi ve sculptedand gilded altars, including the painting of the Descent of the Holy Spirit on the Apostles. Between the church and the nearby convent of the Benedictine Nuns a tower with four bells was built. During the partitions of Poland, the tower was demolished. In addition, 18th-century gates and statues surrounding the church were pulled down. Since 1900 the church had served as a Catholic place of worship; used as a garrison church and later as an affi liate church of the Parish of St. Nicholas. It was burnt during the fi ghts for Grudziądz in 1945 and rebuilt in 1956-1959. It features a preserved barrel vault with an elliptical cross section, 18th-century choir loft and a crucifi x dating from the second half of the 18th century. It was renovated in 2006. Plans include restoration of the Grudziądz polyptych.