The Teutonic Order built a defensive castle on the highest hill in Grudziądz in 1260–1299. It was built on a quadrilateral plan with the most important rooms in the south wing (refectory, chapel) and with the dormitories (knights’ flats) to the west.

Utility rooms were built in the northern and eastern parts of the castle, including a kitchen, a bakery, a brewery and a hospital. In the courtyard of the castle, a free-standing defensive tower called Klimek was built, it served several functions: defence, observation, signalling and prison. A 50 m deep well was also dug in the courtyard.

The castle was damaged many times, particularly during the wars with Sweden. Since 1781, the castle had been pulled down at the request of Frederick II, King of Prussia. The bricks from the castle were used to build a fence around the youth detention center in the former monastery of the Order of the Reformati. The only reminders of the old castle were the Klimek Tower and a well. The year 2013 marked the beginning of revitalization of the relics of the Teutonic Castle and construction of a lookout tower modeled after the old Klimek Tower. This twenty-meter high tower offers a scenic, panoramic view of the city and The Vistula River Valley.

Opening hours:

XI-II: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.; III and X: 9 a.m. -6 p.m.; IV-IX: 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.

More at: